Shoreham Fireplaces Ltd only contract out the products that we sell and does not install any products whatsoever, so the fitting charges are always paid direct to the installer and not the shop.
The fitter in most cases will arrange to carry out a survey of your fireplace location and to advise you on the work that needs to be carried out, and of course the cost. The fitter will be fully experienced in fitting different types of fires (gas or electric) and fireplaces to the highest quality standards. The fitter will be GAS SAFE registered, have full Public Liability insurance and usually guarantee all work for
GAS SAFE Registered Engineers
Why use a CORGI registered gas fitter?
Safety is the overriding concern because gas is highly flammable, gas combustion produces toxic waste gases and very hot water can scald. When used correctly natural gas is safe and economic. GAS SAFE is the Council for Registered Gas Installers.
Simple steps to gas safety
- Appliances should be fitted by a GAS SAFE registered gas fitter
- Appliances should be given an annual safety check by a GAS SAFE registered gas fitter
- Never buy a second hand appliance - it may not be safe
- Never be tempted to DIY with gas
Gas safety regulations in the UK
This extract from GAS SAFE clarifies the legal position regarding the Gas Safety Regulations in the UK. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations in the UK 1998 place specific duties on gas users, installers, suppliers and landlords, for example:
- Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with the GAS SAFE (the Council for Registered Gas Installers)
- Only a competent person may carry out work on gas appliances
- or fittings. Do-it-yourself work on gas appliances or fittings could be dangerous and is likely to be illegal
- Do not use any gas appliances or fittings you know or suspect to be unsafe. Through GAS SAFE, the Health and Safety Executive has asked all registered installers to disconnect any gas appliance or fittings that are so dangerous as to be a threat to life if they are used
- It is illegal to install instantaneous water heaters which are not room sealed or fitted with a safety device which automatically turns the gas supply off before a dangerous level of poisonous fumes builds up
Training and registration procedures are in place to make sure that safety standards are maintained.
There are many excellent professional CORGI registered gas fitters, plumbers and central heating installers throughout the UK.
The following links should provide you with a good start in selecting a CORGI registered gas fitter in your area.
Association of Plumbing and Heating Contractors (APHC) www.aphc.co.uk
Heating and Ventilating Contractors Association (HVCA) www.hvca.org.uk
Institute of Domestic Heating and Environmental Engineers (IDHEE) www.idhee.org.uk
Institute of Plumbing (IOP)
Oil Firing Technical Association for the Petroleum Industry (OFTEC) www.oftec.org.uk